Devon Champs at East Devon Golf Club
- Credit: DevonGolf
Last weekend, East Devon Golf Club played host to the 2021 Devon County Championships.
The course was set up in superb condition and the Club received nothing but praise from the participants, Devon County officials and supporters.
DevonGolf said: “Huge thanks to everyone at East Devon Golf Club, staff and members alike, who gave us a fantastic welcome, all the support DevonGolf could have hoped for and a course that was a joy to play, if not with a few tricky pin positions on the second day.”
The Men’s and Women’s Championships were both played over the weekend and, as usual at East Devon, the weather played its part in the competition.
The Saturday saw the players due to play 36 holes strokeplay competitions, but the ‘Golfing Gods’ blew in fog, which gave an hour-long suspension of play and reduced the women’s competition to 27 holes. Sunday saw the wind pick up for the matchplay semi-final and final knockout rounds, bringing a new golfing test.
You may also want to watch:
The players rose to the challenges of the course and weather and there was some great golf on show.
The Club was well represented throughout the weekend and three players featured in the prizes.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 6 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 7 John and Grace run for the heart
- 8 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 9 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
David Blick was runner up in the Men’s Gold Medal competition on Saturday and lost by just 1 hole in the Men’s Championship Final on Sunday. Emily Morey was the Women’s Gold Medal Nett Winner (the Phillis Collett Memorial Bowl) and narrowly lost the Ladies Championship Semi-Final on the 19th hole. Helen Chivers finished in the top 8 on Saturday and was runner up in the Lloyd Williams Salver Final on Sunday.
Reflecting on the weekend, Club Captain Ray Dawson said: “I would like to thank General Manager Maria in particular, Paul and the Greenstaff, Dani and the bar and Restaurant 19 team, plus all the members who volunteered to help, in both the Clubhouse and out on the course as starters and numerous ball spotters, all of whom were greatly appreciated by the players.”