Copper and Cornish star as Withy U16s are edged out at Cullompton
- Credit: Archant
Withycombe Under-16s were narrowly beaten by Cullompton when the teams met in a Fisherman’s Cup fixture in Mid Devon.
The home side, who won this cup last year in the Under-15 age group, started brightly and passed the ball slickly, but the Withy defence was up to the challenge and repelled Cully in the early exchanges.
The first opportunity to score fell to the home side, who crossed for a converted try with good use of a rolling maul followed by a line-out. Withy had a great chance to get on the score sheet themselves, but spurned what seemed a ‘kickable’ penalty and half-time arrived with the teams separated by just those seven points. Early in the second half a period of Cully pressure ended with the ball moved out wide to their winger, who scored out on the left, but the conversion was missed, leaving the home side 12-0 to the good.
The final score fell to Withy and it followed some impressive defence from which there was a turnover, followed by a downfield kick that resulted in a decent bounce allowing Matt Shaw-Smith to beat a couple of defenders before crossing the whitewash.
The conversion was missed and when the final whistle was blown, Withy had gone down 12-5. Withycombe’s defence was outstanding, as was their general team play.
You may also want to watch:
The Withy Man of the Match awards went to Will Cornish and Will Cooper.
- 1 Glowing tributes paid to Exmouth RNLI ‘legend’ Tim Mock
- 2 Exmouth residents urged to have their say on WPD’s five-year plan
- 3 Builders merchant encouraging businesses to support Exmouth mental health organisation
- 4 Jurassic Fibre installs 10Gbps connection to Winslade Park
- 5 Work begins on former temporary car park on Exmouth seafront
- 6 ‘Light at the end of the tunnel’ for East Devon’s top attractions
- 7 Proper Fish and Chips expanding into Cranbrook
- 8 LED Leisure Centres ready to reopen
- 9 Fears over ‘seafront nightclub’ alleyed following licensing application concerns
- 10 Exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Mikeys Beach Bar