Cockles have a good run-out in pre-season friendly with Redruth
- Credit: Archant
On a wet and windy Saturday afternoon, Exmouth hosted National Two side Redruth in the Cockles’ first pre-season fixture.
In difficult conditions, both teams made some early mistakes before settling into the game.
The first half was tightly contested with neither team able to get on top until the last few minutes of the half when Redruth managed to get over the try line.
With 30 plus players in contention, Exmouth fielded a completely different XV for the second half, taking the opportunity to give everyone the chance to put their hand up for selection.
This was another tightly contested 40 minutes with Redruth eventually running out 24-14 winners.
You may also want to watch:
Exmouth director of rugby Nick Smith said: “This was a very good performance against strong opposition and bodes well for the season.
“The most pleasing part of the game was the whole squad’s commitment to defend, with Redruth being made to work very hard for their points.
- 1 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 2 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 3 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 4 Headteacher ‘blown away’ by response to computer fundraising campaign
- 5 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 6 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 9 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 10 Town council’s slice of tax bill set to decrease
“The Man of the Match was Nick Headly, who scored two very well-taken tries.”