Close final game for Withies ends in narrow defeat
- Credit: Adam Curtis
Despite an excellent fightback, Withycombe finished their rugby campaign with a 16 – 19 defeat to Bude.
Withy had a couple of early chances but it was the visitors that would get the early score. Bude made their way downfield, forcing a penalty in the 22’. With the lineout won, they travelled the short distance to score a converted try in the corner.
The scoreline was doubled just two minutes later when Withy were caught sleeping from the restart. The score 0-14 after just 10 minutes.
The boys in green and black began to gain in strength once again and found themselves pressuring back in the visitor’s red zone. Bude’s defences were hampered after their outside centre was sent to the bin for a deliberate knock-on, but the hosts were unable to capitalise on the territorial advantage and convert this into any points.
Withycombe were finally rewarded for their good play and with the overlap forming, the ball found Will Cooper who managed to spot the gap and sneak in to score. Tom Cooke’s conversion topping up the points and closing the gap to seven.
Now with the slope in their favour, Withy won three quick penalties in a row for Withy. A more settled second half brought a lot of entertaining and quality rugby from both sides. Withy took the lead just after the hour when more penalties against Bude gave Cooke another shot at goal and take the lead at 16-14.
This didn’t lead last long though, as Withy were caught out at the ruck and couldn’t quite recover from the break made by the Bude back-rower who scored in the corner with 11 minutes remaining.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 9 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 10 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
With the season now at a close, Withycombe like to thank all those that have come along to support the club home and away through what has been a season of mixed fortunes.
There is plenty going on over the summer break, so we’d love to see you throughout the summer and we’ll look forward to doing it all again in September!