Budleigh Reserves beaten by powerful University side
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Budleigh Salterton Reserves were beaten 3-0 when they entertained Macron League Division Three title-chasing University fourths at Greenway Lane, writes Spurs Tom.
The Robins second string went into the game on a good run of results, but wary of the threat carried by a University side resuming their season after the festive break.
The students began at a high tempo, but the Robins’ defence coped well and also managed to set up the odd counter-attack.
The contest was an even one and went a full 42 minutes before the first goal arrived. It came after the home players were drawn out of position, leaving an unmarked student to score, sending them into the break with a slight advantage.
The second half was just six minutes old when an attempted goal clearance presented the students with their second goal.
You may also want to watch:
The Robins did not let their heads hang down, and kept working hard to find a way back into the contest. Indeed, they did fashion a couple of opportunities, but were unable to match good approach play with a finish.
The outcome of the game was put beyond all doubt with a well-placed header on 72 minutes.
- 1 CLOSING - Exmouth's HSBC branch to shut later this year
- 2 An art of glass has always proved popular at auction - Piers Motley
- 3 The 'frightening' contrast in dealing with defeat - Eileen Wragg
- 4 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 7 A new arrival for Christmas at the Sampson household
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 New year, new partnerships and opportunity - Laura Woodward-Drake
- 10 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
It was a deserved victory for the visitors, whose scorers were James Barton (2) and Sam Ross.
Budleigh Reserves are back in action on Saturday (January 26) when they host Sandford.