Budleigh Bowlers enjoy Opening Day celebrations
- Credit: Budleigh Bowls Club
The new outdoor season is underway at Budleigh Salterton Bowls Club and a new era has begun behind the scenes.
David Roberts and Paul Griffin, the Outdoor and Indoor Secretaries have decided to stand-down after five years in their respective roles and Tony Mackness has been elected as the Club Captain with immediate effect.
Tony joined the Club just prior to the first outbreak of Covid and has quickly established himself as an active member of the Club, playing in many internal and external fixtures.
Tony said: “It is a privilege to be leading such a long-established prestigious Club and I look forward to working with the Committee to further develop the Club.
Tony is pictured with Fiona Bolt of Cameron Jones Financial Management, whose company is a major sponsor of the Club.
As we move into the outdoor season and bowlers get ready for the thrill of competing on those balmy summer afternoons, Budleigh Bowling Club held their Opening Day, which was attended by 40 Members and friends.
The first Competition was a fun event called ‘The Spider’, a traditional opening to the outdoor season enjoyed by clubs across the country.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 9 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 10 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
The Jack is placed in the centre of the Rinks and the bowlers place themselves around the perimeter of the Rinks and all release their Woods at the same time. The bowler whose Wood was closest was Penny Weeks. The funds raised from the competition have been donated to the local branch of Hospiscare.
This was followed by a Round Robin competition, whereby each team of three players played all the other teams and after a close-fought competition, the winners were the team of Brian Membury, Annie Clarke and John Sheppard. In second place were Marilyn Jackson, Robin Grenyer and Nick Jones.
Tony would like to thank all the Members who helped to make the day so successful with special thanks to Mo Bond and Joan Shaw for organising the tea and cakes and to Peter Foreman who assisted with the smooth running of the day.
Here’s to a great summer of bowls.