Brilliant Devon Cup Final victory for Brixington youngsters
- Credit: Brixington Blues
Brixington Blues U11a, captained by Oliver Morgan, have won the Devon Cup after defeating Moors Youth 2-1 in a tense final.
The match, held at Tiverton FC’s home ground, started brightly for the Blues, who looked dangerous going forward and tested the Moors ‘keeper early on with some fluid attacks.
With eight minutes on the clock, Moors forced a corner on the right-hand side, which was expertly delivered into the Blues penalty area and a wonderful header nestled into the Blues net, leaving ‘keeper Lucas Marles with no chance.
Brixington continued to dominate and it wasn’t long before lovely wing-play by the dangerous Henry Turner resulted in him having a great shot from the edge of the area, which was parried by the Moors ‘keeper, only for the lively Blues striker John Crease to pounce on the rebound and shoot home from close range to level the scores.
The first half continued in the same vein with Blues looking the more likely to score. The skilful Jye Hill set up some great chances for the Blues going forward but, at half-time, the scores remained level.
The second half started well for the Blues and more chances came and went, with the Moors goalkeeper and defence holding firm.
With extra-time looming, Oscar Trump, the new Blues ‘keeper on for Lucas Marles, launched a ball forward into the Moors half. The Blues midfield battled for the ball and Rudi Wilkinson broke free and ran at speed towards the Moors goal.
- 1 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 2 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 3 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 4 Exmouth’s Sarah can see ‘bigger picture’ thanks to diabetes prevention programme
- 5 Budleigh councillors 'aflush' with town loo options
- 6 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 7 Jubilee Big Band concert at Exmouth Pavilion
- 8 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 9 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 10 Drama club stage sci-fi spoof comedy play
Blues’ fans held their breath, as Wilkinson maintained control of the ball and calmly slotted past the Moors ‘keeper to send the Brixington supporters and players into raptures.
The final five minutes played out and Blues had done it, deservedly winning a great game of football and were crowned U11 Cup winners.
At the final whistle, the squad members who didn’t manage to play, all ran on to the field to celebrate with their team-mates in great scenes of excitement.
It was a great achievement for this young squad, who had previously reached the semi-final before Covid stopped the U10 competition.