Batten at the treble as Brixington Blues U12s win well at Axminster
- Credit: Archant
Brixington Blues Under-12s were 6-2 winners when they visited Axminster for their latest friendly action.
In a bright start, Harry Batten fired Blues into a second minute lead and, with Ned O’Mahoney and Ryan McCann imposing themselves the early pressure continued from the visiting side.
Sonny Rowsell put in a cross that O’Mahoney fired just wide before, in a quick counter-attack, Blues glovesman Taylor Westaway made a brilliant brave save from a powerful close-range shot.
Blues looked comfortable playing out from back with Isaac Wykes well Rowsell, O’Mahoney and Batten linking well.
Axminster levelled, but the Blues lead was swiftly restored with O’Mahoney rifling home a 20th minute free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan McCann was again the powerhouse in the team popping up all over the pitch to keep his team moving forward and, with Ben Vines also very industrious and Batten tormenting the home side’s left flank it was no surprise when Batten increased the lead to 3-1.
Axminster got a second goal just before the break, but early in the second half O’Mahoney drilled home a penalty to make it 4-2.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 3 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 4 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 5 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 6 Put the kettle on to support your local hospice
- 7 ‘We’re here to help’ - eMAG’s volunteers ready to help during latest lockdown
- 8 Exeter City Community Trust stepping up again
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Budleigh Freemasons support the visually impaired
Back came the home side and it needed two wonderful saves from Evan Clarke to see Blues retain their two-goal lead.
Just before the hour mark Batten found himself through on goal and he held his nerve to complete his hat-trick.
Batten then turned provider, offering up a fine cross that Vines latched onto to complete the scoring.
This was a fine all-round performance from Blues.
Blues line-up: Evan Clark, Taylor Westaway, Frank Shelton, Harper Phillips, Ryan McCann, Harry Batten, Ned O’Mahoney, Harry Tooby , Sonny Roswell, Isaac Wykes, Ben Vines, Harley Westaway.