A game of fine margins, the Devon RFU Senior Cup Final certainly delivered in spades.

The Cockles travelled to Plymouth to take on current holders, the newly crowned league winners and overwhelming favourites on their own ground.

Devonport Services RFC were handed the final with a walkover after their semi-final opposition dropped out.

A game that called for 10 minutes extra time each way when the score finished 22-22 at full time.

The hosts took the lead on 15 minutes through Shaun Crawford, Richard Goldsby-West converting, 7-0.

Three minutes later, James Clarke crossed for Exmouth, 7-5.

Every aspect of this match up was so close, on 25 minutes George Meadows struck a penalty that put the Cockles in front, two minutes later, a sprinting Ollie Dawe picked up a loose ball on halfway, to run in close to the posts, converted by Meadows, 7-15.

Before the end of the first half, Goldsby-West closed the gap with a penalty strike, 10-15 at the break.

Exmouth Journal:

The second period was a right ding-dong between two sides who were up for a fight.

Devonport, slightly rocked by the ferocity of the first half started to get the upper hand on 60 minutes when Toby Knowles went over, 15-15.

On 40 minutes it seemed that the game was over when Mike Rickard crossed for a try, converted by Goldsby-West, 22-15.

There had been a few injuries during the game and that meant the clock kept ticking.

One final play in normal time, Jake Inglis grabbed the try, following some great work by the forward pack, close to the line.

Meadows stepped up and converted from the touchline, in front of a loud, vocal crowd, 22-22, that crowd went very quiet.

Despite a hugely brave battle from Exmouth, the final difference was a Kyle Felton score just three minutes in to the first half of extra time.

The Cockles fought hard, scrum was set fair and square throughout the game, lineouts were good in normal time, then spluttered later on.

One final throw the dice saw a break from Dave Bargent, Adam Watts hot footed his was down the left flank, then arced towards the posts, just losing his footing five metres out, the ball was gathered, then recycled by the forwards.

Was this the game changing moment?

The referees intervention with the whistle for a penalty against the Cockles for rolling with the ball, meant Devonport Services were able to clear their line, take the trophy for another year.

Exmouth Journal:

Ollie Dawe was presented with Exmouth Man of the Match Award by Fraser Pearson of Devonport Services.

This was cup rugby at its best and both teams played their part in the most exciting final for a few years.

Ian Harris, Exmouth chair said: "Our boys certainly delivered their best, in tough circumstances.

"Despite the outcome, I am extremely proud of the whole squad for this season.

"150 years of Exmouth Rugby has been marked by reaching the Devon Cup Final, almost as old as the club itself.

He continued: "A massive thank you to our fabulous players, team support, family, volunteers, supporters and sponsors who get us on the pitch each week.

"We have exciting times to come at Exmouth Rugby Club.

"We now celebrate our Junior Age Grade season on Sunday 12th May, with our Senior Dinner, Dance & Awards on Saturday 1st June - our time to say a huge thank you."

Squad. Ollie Dawe, Charlie Gibbings, Tommy Andrews, Steve Pape, Jack Fahy, Oli Mason, Toby Papp, Ben Hawley, Charlie Passmore, George Meadows, James Clarke, Dave Bargent ©, Nick Headley, Matt Ryan, Jake Inglis, Brad Skinner, Will Ridout, Liam Bayley, Lee Loveridge, Ollie Turner, Gareth Roebuck, Adam Watts.

Exmouth Journal:

Exmouth Rugby Colts ended their season with a second cup win, taking the Devon & Cornwall Two Counties Vase.

Played at Launceston they overturned a tough Camborne RFC Colts, 34-29.

Leading comfortably at half time, the Cornish lads fought back to edge in front.

The Cockles finally regained their form and closed out the game.

A fine season from all the lads who played.