Exmouth Town slipped to their third consecutive defeat when they went down 4-1 at Yate Town, writes John Dibsdall.

The hosts, buoyed by their 3-0 defeat of Melksham in their previous game, made a fast start and went ahead with five minutes played.

A speculative shot from 30 yards could have been cleared but with Town’s defence believing the shot was going wide, somehow the ball nestled in the bottom corner.

Worse was to follow when another defensive error followed by a clear handball, but not to the officials, ended with a screamer into the top corner with 24 minutes played.

Two minutes later and it was three when another superb strike hit the underside of the bar and bounced in.

To Town’s credit, they did not let their heads drop and a rasping drive from Ben Steer reduced the deficit with 28 minutes on the clock.

For the next 50 minutes, Town, driven forward by new signing from Tiverton, Louis Morison, enjoyed the greater share of possession and should have had a penalty when Nelson Iscguan, signed in the week from Crediton, was clearly brought down but yet another refereeing decision went against Town.

To compound the problem, manager Kevin Hill was shown a straight red card for letting his feelings be known to the officials.

Town continued to press, a fine run and cross from Ace High just evaded everyone and then ‘keeper Robbie Powell sustained an injury to his thigh but Town had used all of their substitutes.

Clearly hampered, he was helpless when a through ball he would normally have collected was seized upon and Yate had their fourth.

Despite the score line, there were positives to take from the defeat. Town never gave in, kept plugging away and with new signings Morison and Iscguan settling in well there were signs of better things to come.

With a quarter of the season gone, Town are now three points adrift at the foot of the table as the other clubs around them had successful weekends. This Saturday, Town welcome Bristol Manor Farm to their Circle of Care Community Stadium who were surprisingly beaten 3-0 at home by Paulton Rovers, a win that has seen the Somerset club leapfrog above Town at the bottom of the table.