A welcome return to their early season form has seen Town virtually assure themselves on playing Southern League football next season.

Whilst it is still mathematically possible that Town may still be involved in an end of season relegation play-off, the points earned in another highly entertaining game at promotion-chasing Bashley, the 1-1 draw with Bideford on Monday and other results have meant that Town cannot be overtaken pointswise by either Slimbridge or Cinderford Town, who will probably fill the automatic relegation places.

On the balance of play, a 1-1 draw at Bashley was the least Town deserved from another encouraging display where they created two excellent goal-scoring opportunities when Aarron Denny set up Jordan Harris.

Twice, he was denied by the home ‘keeper, who was named man of the match. In a rare threat on the Town goal, Dave Rowe was in the right place to clear one shot off the line.

Six minutes into the second half and Town were ahead. A long clearance, a flick on by Harris and Denny raced clear to slam home the opener. Ten minutes later, Town should have doubled their lead.

Taking advantage of more hesitant defending, Harris seized on a bouncing ball but his header cannoned back off the crossbar and his follow-up shot was again saved.

Exmouth were left to rue the miss when they failed to clear a long throw and the ball was returned with interest with a well-struck volley from the edge of the box.

With 20 minutes to play, both sides pressed for the winner and, as Town’s defence held firm, they came closest to the win when a strong header from Mike Landricombe narrowly cleared the crossbar.

It was also good to see Dan Cullen on as a second-half substitute, making his return from a hamstring tear that has kept him sidelined since the Frome win at the end of January.

Town followed up that point with the same score at home to Bideford on Monday.

Ethan Slater opened the scoring for Exmouth on 35 minutes, finishing off a super move that involved Ben Steer, High, Harris and Denny. The North Devon visitors responded after the break and snatched a point from a Charlie Madden penalty.