Exmouth RFC produced a fine afternoon of rugby to defeat Gloucestershire side Drybrook 27-10.  

The opening 40 minutes were closely contested and the game saw only two tries, one apiece. 5-5 at half-time. An early score from James Clarke put the Cockles up inside 8 minutes, George Meadows missed the extras from wide out.  

Despite being on top for large parts of the first period, the home side could not break down the Drybrook defence. The attack plan was strong from forwards and backs, however it broke down with a few errors and staunch defence. On 36 minutes, the visitors’ Mike Addis broke away on the left wing to dot down in the corner, conversion missed, the scores even at the break. 

What didn’t work in the first forty, definitely worked in the second forty. George Mears increased Exmouth’s lead with a well taken try, Meadows slotted the conversion, 12-5 just after the restart. 

Drybrook added to their tally through Sam Peaper, 12-10. From then on. it was full on Cockles. Meadows hit a penalty with Toby Papp adding a try, converted by Meadows, 22-10. The final score of the game came from a deft chip through from Nick Headley, Clarke who rounded the defender on the outside raced to touch down collecting his second try. Bonus point win secured.  

The Cockles should be pleased with their work. The scrum and line-out provided a great platform for the victory, with Exmouth’s back line looking sharp as the afternoon progressed. 

Five league points hold Exmouth in 8th position as they go in to a week break. Next up, an away trip up to Weston-super-Mare on November 26. 

The Exmouth Nomads had a tough afternoon against visiting university side Exeter Engineers. They eventually ran out 34-0 winners. The Nomads stuck to their plan to play open rugby and got held up on a couple of occasions. Time and again, they got some great field position, however could not capitalise. Certainly entertaining, this was a great precursor to the 1st Team game. A week break next weekend, then a visit to South Molton on Saturday, November 26. 

Exmouth Quins battled bravely before going down to a 15-0 defeat against Withycombe in a hard-fought local derby.