Woman found dead at Orcombe Point
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been found dead at Orcombe Point in Exmouth after an overnight search by emergency services.
A police spokesman said the woman, who was in her 30s, was found at 5.30am this morning (Thursday).
The woman’s next of kin have been informed.
Police said emergency services were called out last night (Wednesday) to look for a vulnerable woman, for whom there was concern.
The police helicopter and a helicopter from RMB Chivenor were involved in the search, along with HM Coastguard, Dartmoor Rescue Group and Exmouth RNLI.
You may also want to watch:
An Exmouth RNLI spokesman said the inshore lifeboat was called out last night at 10.44pm to help with a search for a vulnerable female, but was stood down after an hour.
Police said the woman was located at 5.30am, but was deceased.
- 1 Town centre improvements will go forward for funding bid
- 2 Man rescued in Lyme Bay after fishing boat 'sinks without trace'
- 3 Plans for new MP for Exmouth under discussion
- 4 Exmouth Harriers tackle the hills
- 5 Exciting new era begins at Budleigh Salterton
- 6 Urgent clarity is needed on international travel
- 7 Police performed largest security operation in the force’s history
- 8 Inquest into death of Exmouth teenager found at Orcombe Point
- 9 Double celebration as iconic pub reopens with new look
- 10 Safety teams collaborate for event to help save lives
Exmouth Coastguard station officer Paul Howell said: “After units were stood down last night, Dartmoor Search and Rescue Team (Ashburton Section) were requested by Devon and Cornwall Police in the early hours to complete an in-land search for the missing female.
“After another unsuccessful outcome, Dartmoor Rescue carried out a low-tide shoreline search and a body was discovered at the foot of cliffs in a location that was totally inaccessible by any search and rescue asset the previous night.
“Exmouth Coastguard officers were re-tasked to assist Dartmoor Search and Rescue with the recovery.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the deceased at this very difficult time.”