Withycombe Raleigh pupils rugby competition success
PUPILS from Withycombe Raleigh Primary School were jumping for joy last week after securing the title of tag rugby champions. Withycombe triumphed at the Warburtons Healthy Eating Tag Rugby competition involving 31 teams held last Thursday, October 15, a
PUPILS from Withycombe Raleigh Primary School were jumping for joy last week after securing the title of tag rugby champions.
Withycombe triumphed at the Warburtons Healthy Eating Tag Rugby competition involving 31 teams held last Thursday, October 15, at Sandy Park.
More than 340 school children competed in the event which was organised by the community department at Exeter Chiefs. The school secured an 8-7 win against Sandford.
Ben Humphrey, PE coordinator at Withycombe Raleigh, said he was extremely proud of the children.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "They came together really well as a side. It was actually commented on by the community staff at Exeter Chiefs how well they played.
"We had a busy week as the school also won the Exmouth schools netball tournament on Wednesday (October 14)."
- 1 Exmouth candidates gear up for county council elections
- 2 Tribute paid to former town manager Suzy
- 3 Exmouth social group Friends UK set to resume meet ups
- 4 Candidates ready for elections in Exmouth and Budleigh Coastal ward
- 5 Promising signs for Town’s young footballers
- 6 Sand movement forces change of launch location for Exmouth lifeboat
- 7 Mixed views on future development in East Devon
- 8 Exmouth’s final goodbye to ‘RNLI stalwart’ Tim Mock
- 9 Changes to polling stations for upcoming elections
- 10 Brixington Blues keep marching on
Teacher Sarah Dean also attended and helped with the team.
Ben said Withycombe had to overcome a tough schedule of matches, playing five games in the group stage as well as the quarter, semi and final.
"We are quite lucky because the chiefs come in and do a bit of work at the school. They try to do five or six session in a school year with the children.
"We have the Exmouth schools tournament coming up next year which we are the reining champions of. Hopefully we can retain that title."
Keith Fleming, community chiefs development manager, said: We'd like to thank the teachers, schools and helpers for organising the players and teams for the tag festival.