Withycombe motocross rider to race for charity
A Withycombe motocross rider is aiming to raise thousands of pounds for a cancer charity by racing 20 times in just two days.
Between them, Dickie Dye, from Green Hill Avenue, and former world champion Dave Thorpe aim to race in every one of the 40 races at this year’s Vets Motocross des Nations at Farleigh Castle, near Trowbridge, on September 24 and 25.
Backed by sponsors including MPS, they are hoping to raise around �5,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Dickie said: “A couple of close friends have cancer right now – some who I know, have had it and beat it, but some haven’t been so lucky.
“It can happen to anybody, any time and there is a ripple effect when someone is diagnosed; it impacts on parents, children and friends as well as the patient.
“There are psychological and financial effects. All future plans go out the window, you just think about how to get through the next day… alive.
“We chose Macmillan because the charity doesn’t just focus on one aspect of cancer; it offers support to everyone involved from diagnosis to recovery.”
- 1 Exeter man guilty of threatening police officer on Exmouth seafront
- 2 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 3 Brixington Blues weather the storm to blow away Broadclyst
- 4 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 5 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 6 Ex-tree-mely good response to Rotary saplings giveaway in Exmouth
- 7 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 8 Exmouth gears up for its Winter Festival
- 9 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 10 Proposal for a permanent beach volleyball pitch on an East Devon beach
Calvin Lovelock, from Macmillan, said: “The Macmillan team can be with you every step of the way, however it is our volunteer fund-raisers like Dickie and Dave who make it all possible.
“I am so grateful to them for involving us in this prestigious event.”