Withycombe children to perform in London
CHILDREN from Withycombe Raleigh Primary School have been selected to perform music using recycle bin-bound items at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Pupils from the school s Withycombe Stomp group will play at the prestigious venue on November 10 in the
CHILDREN from Withycombe Raleigh Primary School have been selected to perform music using recycle bin-bound items at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
Pupils from the school's Withycombe Stomp group will play at the prestigious venue on November 10 in the 2009 School Proms.
In an equally successful achievement, being asked to perform at the hall comes after children took to the stage at the National Festival of Music for Youth held in Birmingham earlier this summer.
The stomp group was formed as a result of music lessons based around a unit exploring musical rhythm and pulse, using a number of junk items to create different sounds and patterns.
You may also want to watch:
Items include broom sticks, telephones, old pickle tubs, water bottles and waste bins.
Looking ahead to the Royal Albert Hall performance, a spokesperson for the school said: "It will be a once in a life time experience for everyone.
- 1 Milestone planning decision marks reason for optimism in the Otter Valley
- 2 Words of respect and dignity honoured Adrian
- 3 Couple walking from Exmouth to Swanage in memory of Pippa
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Transition Exmouth’s ‘library of things’ project get National Lottery funding boost
- 6 Changes made to Exmouth bus route following national lockdown
- 7 Do you know who owns the Magnolia clock?
- 8 Introducing the Journal's newest columnst - Scott Gray
- 9 The positive vibe from volunteering is truly uplifting
- 10 Open Door is here for the community during lockdown 3.0
"The children are proud to represent their school and Exmouth."
Each year's new stomp group have to try and think of a different music approach. This year they have adopted an African drumming theme and decided to call their composition The Gathering.
"Since stomp has been seen and heard in school, a drumming fever has struck all the children at Withycombe."
With more than 3000 performers including orchestras, rock groups, choirs, soul and jazz bands, the School Proms are held between Monday, November 9, and Wednesday, November 11.