Watersports centre scuppered

MYSTERY surrounds the district council's decision not to offer up part of the Beach Gardens to develop a new seafront watersports centre.

MYSTERY surrounds the district council's decision not to offer up part of the Beach Gardens to develop a new seafront watersports centre.

During a closed-doors meeting of the East Devon District Council's executive last week councillors considered public responses to leasing the 1100 sq m site next to the Carlton Slipway.

It is the second time that EDDC has withdrawn the site from possible development, despite the area having planning permission for a watersports centre.

EDDC advertised the land 'for disposal' in February - planning approval expires on August 10.


You may also want to watch:


But a spokesman for EDDC said: "EDDC's executive board considered public responses to an advertisement of the council's intention to dispose of a plot of land at Beach Gardens and resolved not to proceed with marketing the site."

Planning approval was given to Waterfront Sports owner Pete Manfield in 2007 but the project stalled when legal complications emerged over a covenant which protects the seafront site from development.

Most Read

But John Bain, land agent for Clinton Devon Estates denied that the withdrawal of the area was because of the covenants originally drawn up by Lord Clinton last century.

"We have indicated quite clearly to EDDC that the Estate is quite prepared to release the covenants on the seafront subject to terms being agreed," he said.

"Our position on that has been consistent for some time.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter