Waitrose express interest
WAITROSE admit they are interested in opening a convenience store in Exmouth. The high-quality supermarket chain plan to open up to 300 small stores across the UK in a bid to match Tesco and Sainsbury s convenience stores. A spokesman for Waitrose said:
WAITROSE admit they are interested in opening a convenience store in Exmouth.
The high-quality supermarket chain plan to open up to 300 small stores across the UK in a bid to match Tesco and Sainsbury's convenience stores.
A spokesman for Waitrose said: "Devon is not somewhere we have a big presence at the moment and we are certainly interested in increasing our estate there.
"Although we have no immediate plans at the moment for a store in Exmouth, the 300 stores are over 10 years and we are taking a longer term view.
You may also want to watch:
"Exmouth is obviously somewhere we would be interested in increasing our presence in."
The growth of supermarkets in the convenience store sector, however, has seen independent store numbers, which account for approximately 24 per cent of the market, in decline.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 4 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 7 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 8 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 9 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 10 Council chairman declares unique new sensory garden open
The move by Waitrose will again put many under pressure to survive and will further anger campaigners who believe the continued homogenization of the high street is driving out local independent businesses. Tesco hope to open their second convenience store in Exmouth, in Rolle Street, by Christmas.