Waitrose express interest
WAITROSE admit they are interested in opening a convenience store in Exmouth. The high-quality supermarket chain plan to open up to 300 small stores across the UK in a bid to match Tesco and Sainsbury s convenience stores. A spokesman for Waitrose said:
WAITROSE admit they are interested in opening a convenience store in Exmouth.
The high-quality supermarket chain plan to open up to 300 small stores across the UK in a bid to match Tesco and Sainsbury's convenience stores.
A spokesman for Waitrose said: "Devon is not somewhere we have a big presence at the moment and we are certainly interested in increasing our estate there.
"Although we have no immediate plans at the moment for a store in Exmouth, the 300 stores are over 10 years and we are taking a longer term view.
"Exmouth is obviously somewhere we would be interested in increasing our presence in."
The growth of supermarkets in the convenience store sector, however, has seen independent store numbers, which account for approximately 24 per cent of the market, in decline.
- 1 Hard yards on and off the pitch for Exmouth Town
- 2 Art exhibition celebrates Jurassic coastline
- 3 Angry passenger keyed a car in disabled parking dispute
- 4 Councillors formally support bid for levelling up fund
- 5 Lympstone Marine trainer halfway through THREE ultra marathon challenge
- 6 Budleigh Music Fest line-up announced
- 7 Budleigh vineyard wins gold at inaugural wine competition
- 8 Lympstone school rated 'good' at latest Ofsted report
- 9 Comedian Jason Bryne announces Exmouth date
- 10 Hilary Mantel's desk fetches more than £4,000 at auction
The move by Waitrose will again put many under pressure to survive and will further anger campaigners who believe the continued homogenization of the high street is driving out local independent businesses. Tesco hope to open their second convenience store in Exmouth, in Rolle Street, by Christmas.