Vikki’s marathon challenge for aunt
- Credit: Archant
An Exmouth woman who suffers from scleroderma is backing her niece’s marathon charity challenge, raising funds to help those with the condition.
Vikki Roberts will be running the upcoming London Marathon, and will also be taking on the Paris Half Marathon, the aptly named Tough Mudder obstacle race, the Eton Sprint Triathlon and a 1,500m open water swim.
She is aiming to raise £3,000 in aid of The Scleroderma Society, inspired by her aunt, Exmouth resident Mandy Hills.
Vikki said: “I wanted to take on such a huge challenge because my aunt has been diagnosed with scleroderma and it’s been so sad to see her unable to live the sort of life she used to be able to and would like to.
“I was ashamed to not have heard of scleroderma before so, as well as raising funds for the charity, I also want to raise awareness and take part in some really cool events that my aunt can experience vicariously.
“I’m not much of a swimmer or a cyclist and this will be my very first marathon, but knowing every penny I raise will go towards further research and support will spur me on through every step.”
Mandy said: “I am so proud of everything Vikki is doing to support the charity. I take part in some ‘virtual training’ on Twitter (#VirtualTraining), encouraging her and following her progress.”
- 1 Councillors formally support bid for levelling up fund
- 2 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 3 Hilary Mantel's desk fetches more than £4,000 at auction
- 4 Comedian Jason Bryne announces Exmouth date
- 5 Angry passenger keyed a car in disabled parking dispute
- 6 Lympstone school rated 'good' at latest Ofsted report
- 7 Do you remember the general election of 1979?
- 8 Hard yards on and off the pitch for Exmouth Town
- 9 Urgent help needed alleviate ambulance and hospital emergencies
- 10 Budleigh vineyard wins gold at inaugural wine competition
To sponsor Vikki, visit www.justgiving.com/Vikki-Roberts.