Upstairs bedroom blaze in Withycombe home

PUBLISHED: 19:17 30 June 2008 | UPDATED: 09:12 10 June 2010

A WITHYCOMBE home was on Saturday evening severely damaged by fire after a blaze broke out in an upstairs bedroom.

A WITHYCOMBE home was on Saturday evening severely damaged by fire after a blaze broke out in an upstairs bedroom.

When Exmouth firefighters arrived at Broadpark Road at around 6pm they found a 33-year-old single mother and her six children, aged three, seven, nine, 11, 13 and 14, waiting outside their smoke-logged home.

The family had been enjoying a barbecue in the garden when an indoor smoke detector raised the alarm.

Crew commander Giles White said the fire crews were able to see the smoke as they came along Bradham Lane.

"We conducted a search to see if there was anyone else in the property," said Mr White. "The family had been outside having a barbecue when the smoke alarm went off. They said they had smelled burning but thought it was the barbecue.

"The working smoke detector meant they were able to evacuate the house quickly. If they hadn't had one, and the fire had broken out in the early hours of the morning, this could have been a very different story."

Smoke was pouring out of the bedroom window when the fire crews arrived at the two-storey Withycombe home.

The firefighters wore breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to

tackle the blaze.

The bedroom was severely damaged by the blaze and the remainder of the upstairs suffered smoke damage.

The firefighters used ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Exmouth Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists