Update - Major fire in Littleham
PUBLISHED: 11:45 21 April 2013 | UPDATED: 09:46 22 April 2013
Fire crews battled for several hours on Saturday night to put out a fire in a row of terraced houses in Littleham.
The initial call to the fire service came at 6.32pm, reporting that a chimney fire had spread to the thatched roof of a house in Castle Lane.
On arrival, crews found that roof of the central house of a row of five properties was on fire.
Over the next three hours, firefighters tackled the fire by stripping thatch from the roof, while using their aerial ladder platform to direct their hoses.
Through their efforts, they were able to contain the fire to the roofs of two of the five homes, and it was extinguished by 10.55pm.
During the incident, the Salvation Army was asked to attend to provide refreshments for those involved.
Fire appliances from Exmouth, Middlemoor, Topsham, Sidmouth, Danes Castle and Ottery St Mary attended, along with an incident command vehicle from Exmouth, a support pump from Budleigh Salterton, a water bowser from Torquay, an aerial ladder platform from Danes Castle and a hose layer from Honiton.
Western Power were asked to isolate the power to the houses, and the ambulance hazardous area response team also attended.
The road was closed during the fire, and also on Sunday as a cleanup operation was carried out.
The fire service said the cause of the fire was believed to be accidental.