Unitary decision: Expert advice ignored’
The Government have ignored their own clear expert advice that this would be bad for Exeter and disastrous for us in the rest of Devon – the view of Dr Jon Underwood, parliamentary spokesman for the Liberal Democrats in Honiton and Tiverton.
The Government have ignored their own clear expert advice that this would be bad for Exeter and disastrous for us in the rest of Devon" - the view of Dr Jon Underwood, parliamentary spokesman for the Liberal Democrats in Honiton and Tiverton.
He told the Herald: "It's absolutely typical that this Government would make a decision which was financially ruinous for short-term political gain.
"They are hoping to embarrass the Tories in Exeter, who joined with Labour in supporting the scheme to split off our historic capital from the rest of Devon.
"It also confirms what I've argued all along, that East Devon District Council's court action was an expensive waste of time. They've poured several hundred thousand pounds of our money down a great big legal drain - and now they are cutting services right across the district as a consequence. No doubt their reaction will be the usual load of bluster and spin rather than the apology we deserve.
You may also want to watch:
"I've been assured that MPs and Lords from our party will do what they can to stop this scandalous piece of electioneering from being implemented. It isn't too late to stop the further loss of services and increased council tax.
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Darcey makes ballerina's day
- 3 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 4 Tough day at the office for the Withies
- 5 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 6 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 7 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 8 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 10 Wider ramifications of this summer's traveller troubles