UFO’ over town
AN EXMOUTH man claims to have seen a UFO – the second spotting in three months and follows a similar sighting in Sidbury two weeks ago.
AN EXMOUTH man claims to have seen a UFO - the second spotting in three months and follows a similar sighting in Sidbury two weeks ago.
Plane-spotter Milos Balvim, of Maer Road, was 'amazed' when he saw an object, with clusters of orange lights, travelling towards the town at around 11.20pm, last Thursday.
He said it appeared to have moved from the Dawlish area and headed towards Exmouth, flying at one point as low as 150 metres above the ground.
The 61-year-old explained he had read reports of an object hovering in the skies over Sandy Bay beach in May, filmed from Devon Cliffs Holiday Park and posted on the internet site You Tube.
You may also want to watch:
The sighting was rumoured to be an alien aircraft but was later dismissed as being a Chinese lantern.
Mr Balvim, however, said: "It was definitely not a lantern. I am quite sceptical about those sorts of things because I am an ex-military officer.
- 1 Exmouth goes underground – designer creates town tube map
- 2 Budleigh Coronavirus Community Lifelines
- 3 Reduced timetables for trains on Avocet Line, GWR announces
- 4 Police warning over fake Covid-19 vaccine texts scam
- 5 Smiles of hope as care home residents and staff receive their first vaccine
- 6 Stunning sunrise and sunset entries submitted for joint chamber contest
- 7 'we're here to help' Budleigh Covid Support Group ready for action
- 8 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 9 Community energy funding helps TRIP coordinate thousands of requests for support
- 10 Temporary seafront attractions to remain in place for the summer
"I am very curious, though, as to what it actually was. At first I thought it may have been a kite.
"I then thought it could have been a glider but then, on reflection, I dismissed that because they don't tend to fly so close late at night.
"It was crossing over my house, travelling at the speed of a helicopter. The shape was quite like a Rubik's cube and there was an array of light beaming out.
"We have just moved to the property we are in at the moment, so, unfortunately, everything is still in boxes and I couldn't get to a camera in time. The fact that it was silent was strange.
"I am very fond of aviation so I look to the skies a lot, trying to spot planes. I know for a fact, therefore, that it was not a normal aircraft."
As well as Milos, Kim Garbett, 66, from Sidbury, also spotted unusual activity.
The retired teacher was with two friends in her garden when she noticed a bright object moving towards her.
She said the orange and red light passed by around 11.15pm on Saturday, June 27. She added: "It was travelling about roof height, not terribly fast at first.
"It was silent and there was a solid bright light with rays. It looked like a very big star.