Trevor defies surgeons in run record
- Credit: Archant
When Brixington’s former town mayor Trevor Cope, runs his 253rd half marathon next month, he could have already surpassed the UK record.
Mr Cope has clocked up over 250 half marathons since he started running in 1986 which he believes is an unofficial UK record.
Trevor estimates that he has raised over £30,000 for charity during this time.
But what is even more remarkable is that in 2008 he was told he may never walk, let alone run, properly again, after undergoing reconstructive surgery on a shattered femur.
Now he is looking to his next challenge, Plymouth’s half marathon on April 28.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to half marathons, Trevor has also completed 66 marathons, including running the London Marathon 21 times, and 80 other races ranging from five miles to 20 miles.
This adds up to an estimated 6,000 race miles, or the equivalent of running from Exmouth to Capetown.
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 3 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 4 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 5 Tune in to free help if you get interference on your television
- 6 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 7 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 8 Five per cent of county care home staff yet to have jab
- 9 Budleigh bowlers welcome touring sides
- 10 New electric vehicle charging hubs given the green light
Trevor, a former teacher, said that he runs to help reduce the stresses and strains of daily life: “When you are running the phone can’t ring and no one can ask you to do anything. It is a great escape!”
Trevor said that he will continue to run as long as he is fit enough and runs Plymouth’s half because it is one of his favourite races. Race organisers remind runners that there are just a few days left to sign up for Plymouth’s half marathon, with entries closing on March 31. To join Trevor, sign up at www.plymouthhalfmarathon.com.