Tourist Infornation Centre relocates at Travel World.
The Tourist Information Centre has been resurrected as the Exmouth Information Centre, just weeks after the doors at the Manor Gardens branch were closed.
And, thanks to a Strand travel agency, three of the six staff made redundant have been given new jobs.
Travelworld, in The Strand, is now housing the new operation, after Exmouth Chamber of Commerce announced that the service had to close.
Hannah Burford, managing partner of Travelworld, was approached by the chamber and asked to consider taking on the TIC.
She said: “I really did not want to see Exmouth without an information centre, as the tourist industry is fundamental to Exmouth.
“I also felt that the information centre would benefit greatly from being in a more prominent position in the centre of town.”
The new information centre is an independent business, without needing the annual �10,000 town grant, and will not receive a penny of taxpayers money.
- 1 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 2 Homes and shops plan approved for site behind Exmouth's Tower Street Church
- 3 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 4 Free water dispensers set up in Exmouth to cut plastic waste
- 5 'Residents will be unimpressed with MPs over Boris'
- 6 Budleigh prevail in terrific advert for Devon Football League
- 7 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 8 Lions president marks 100th volunteer shift as Covid jab centre steward
- 9 'Mud: Mucky, marvellous - but misunderstood'
- 10 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
She said: “This will allow us to grow and adapt, to be relevant to both Exmouth residents and our tourists.
“I have now employed three members of staff - Carol, Margaret and Katherine - who had been made redundant from the old TIC, to join the team.”
The information centre occupies a separate area within the travel agency and is open from 10am to 3pm, Monday to Saturday. Staff will continue to offer the main services the TIC used to offer, including National Express and theatre tickets, London breaks, airport hotels and parking.
She said: “I want the Exmouth Information Centre to be used all year round and for the whole community, not just seasonally for the tourists.
“I feel that running the travel agency and information centre alongside each other, we should have local and overseas travel tied up under one roof and the services offered in both will complement each other.”
Some services may not be up and running until December.
She added: “Patience and understanding is greatly appreciated during the changeover.”