Tour of Britain fever set to hit Exmouth
It’s just 24 hours until the Tour of Britain cyclists cross the stage five finish line in Exmouth, and the town is making its final preparations for the big day.
The stage’s route will see cyclists enter along Salterton Road from Budleigh Salterton, swooping down Carlton Hill and crossing the finish line on the Esplanade.
The field, including Tour de France stage winner mark Cavendish, will cover more than 180 kilometres on the stage, including punishing climbs on Dartmoor and a blast across Woodbury Common.
The cyclists are expected to arrive just before 3pm, and rolling road closures will be in operation.
A whole range of entertainment has been lined up for the crowds at the finish line, including bike races, a trials riding demonstration, a ‘bike rally’ display, and musical acts.
Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation Stuart Hughes said: “The excitement surrounding The Tour has been building for months and it should again prove to be a fantastic occasion for people across the county.”
“Hopefully people who get the chance to see it will be inspired to take up cycling or to get back on their bikes.”
- 1 Dramatic rock fall at Budleigh beach prompts warnings of further collapses
- 2 Met Office weather warning for wind in East Devon
- 3 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas as lights are on in Exmouth
- 4 Santa's sleigh and Family Fun Run: Exmouth Rotary announces Christmas events
- 5 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 6 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 7 Awesome Aaron earns Exmouth win with a worldie
- 8 No choice but to charge entry for public toilets
- 9 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 10 Rising cost to council of boosting salaries to match market rate