Topsham woman struck by car
A PENSIONER is lucky to be alive after being knocked down by a car at a zebra crossing in Denver Road, Topsham. An 88-year-old local woman was hit by a Renault Clio in the early hours of Wednesday, January 13. She was struck at the bottom of the road, nea
A PENSIONER is lucky to be alive after being knocked down by a car at a zebra crossing in Denver Road, Topsham.
An 88-year-old local woman was hit by a Renault Clio in the early hours of Wednesday, January 13. She was struck at the bottom of the road, near Mortimores shop.
Paramedics responded to a report of the elderly lady who had been hit by a moving car at 8.22am. Police arrived at the scene at 8.36am.
A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall police said the vehicle involved in the incident was registered to a 20-year-old Topsham female. He said a breath test given by the driver was negative.
"Officers are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident but, at this stage, no arrests have been made."
The spokesperson added, that because of the impact of the woman hitting the car and given her age, it was first thought her injuries could have been 'serious'.
- 1 Found: Wanted man from Exmouth
- 2 Exmouth to join national beacon lighting programme to mark Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Famous ladies of Exmouth: Viscountess Nelson of the Nile
- 4 East Devon beaches given prestigious blue flag award
- 5 'Unique opportunity' to lease one of Exmouth's toilet blocks
- 6 Witness appeal after Exmouth assault
- 7 Body found in search for missing man
- 8 County council approval for Levelling Up Dinan Way link funding bid
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Lifeline support service in Exmouth is ‘here to help’ those struggling with cost-of-living crisis
She was taken immediately to the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital.
The police spokesperson said it was believed she sustained a couple of fractures to her hip but there were no further concerns for her health.
Access to Denver Road was restricted as a result of the incident. The road was fully reopened at 10.20am.