Topsham woman struck by car
A PENSIONER is lucky to be alive after being knocked down by a car at a zebra crossing in Denver Road, Topsham. An 88-year-old local woman was hit by a Renault Clio in the early hours of Wednesday, January 13. She was struck at the bottom of the road, nea
A PENSIONER is lucky to be alive after being knocked down by a car at a zebra crossing in Denver Road, Topsham.
An 88-year-old local woman was hit by a Renault Clio in the early hours of Wednesday, January 13. She was struck at the bottom of the road, near Mortimores shop.
Paramedics responded to a report of the elderly lady who had been hit by a moving car at 8.22am. Police arrived at the scene at 8.36am.
A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall police said the vehicle involved in the incident was registered to a 20-year-old Topsham female. He said a breath test given by the driver was negative.
You may also want to watch:
"Officers are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident but, at this stage, no arrests have been made."
The spokesperson added, that because of the impact of the woman hitting the car and given her age, it was first thought her injuries could have been 'serious'.
- 1 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 2 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
- 3 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 4 Creative thinking will connect artists across East Devon
- 5 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 6 Medics start fundraising row from Exmouth to help life-saving charities
- 7 Community rallies round to make raffle a success and help Lions
- 8 Budleigh Hub makes gearchange to Seachange
- 9 County council leader re-elected as voice for South West
- 10 MP and councillors call for rethink on plan for cycle lane
She was taken immediately to the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital.
The police spokesperson said it was believed she sustained a couple of fractures to her hip but there were no further concerns for her health.
Access to Denver Road was restricted as a result of the incident. The road was fully reopened at 10.20am.