Topsham woman given award by royalty
A TOPSHAM woman has been honoured for her work with animals at a ceremony held at Clarence House. Marcia McGahey was presented with a long-serving supporter of the year award for her outstanding commitment to the Brooke Hospital by HRH The Duchess of Corn
A TOPSHAM woman has been honoured for her work with animals at a ceremony held at Clarence House.
Marcia McGahey was presented with a long-serving supporter of the year award for her outstanding commitment to the Brooke Hospital by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall last Wednesday, October 28.
The Brooke is the UK's leading overseas charity dedicated to alleviating the suffering of horses, donkeys and mules working in the poorest parts of the world, and improving the lives of people who depend on them.
The 75-year-old has been a supporter since her childhood and has raised more than �30,000 since the 1990s.
She said: "It is wonderful to receive this prestigious award from such a worthy charity.
"The Brooke has always been an organisation close to my heart, which is why I have spent so many years helping to raise money for them.
- 1 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 2 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 3 Levelling Up bid is important step for Devon
- 4 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 8 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 9 Giving the Monarchy a bad name...
- 10 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
"It is a real pleasure to see how much it has grown from 75 years ago when it first started as a small hospital in Cairo.
"I will continue supporting for as long as I can as the work they do with horses, donkeys and mules is so vital".
Gemma Laragy, community fundraising manager at the Brooke said Marcia deserved the award she received.
She added: "She has raised a tremendous amount throughout the years and it is through people like Marcia that we are able to continue with our vital work helping horses, donkeys and their owners overseas."
Topsham has its own Brooke Hospital supporters group which regular holds fundraising events which include coffee mornings at Matthews Hall.