Topsham war veteran honoured for Enigma Code work
A WAR veteran from Topsham has spoken of his delight to have been honoured for his involvement with breaking of the Enigma Code. Eric Hume, of Higher Shapter Street, was one of 35 veterans to have been awarded a special badge and certificate signed by Pri
A WAR veteran from Topsham has spoken of his delight to have been honoured for his involvement with breaking of the Enigma Code.
Eric Hume, of Higher Shapter Street, was one of 35 veterans to have been awarded a special badge and certificate signed by Prime Minister Gordon Brown at Bletchley Park, in Milton Keynes last month.
Mr Hume, who served in the military from 1942 until 1945, was involved with the breaking of the German Enigma Coding machine during World War II.
It was an achievement believed to have changed the course of the conflict. He was presented with the badge and certificate by David Miliband, Foreign Secretary, at the ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hume said: "It was a great honour to be given the award. I was selected out of hundreds of people. It is a day I will remember for the rest of my life.
"I feel very proud to have been one of the few chosen from so many who were involved with the breaking of the Enigma Code, which is estimated to have shortened the war by two years."
- 1 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 2 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 3 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
- 4 Junior rugby returns after a year of frustration
- 5 Exmouth folk and visitors love their coffee!
- 6 Budleigh Music Festival announces return line-up
- 7 ‘Pay what you can’ at Open Door Community Café
- 8 Former Exmouth and Budleigh officer nominated for lifetime achievement award
- 9 Exmouth candidates gear up for county council elections
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Mr Hume added: "It is important to keep on recognising the efforts of servicemen, both past and present - after all, they are fighting for Britain.