Topsham swimming event success
A SWIMMING event held in Topsham has raised more than �2000 for the Estuary League of Friends. The money was raised thanks to the Ferryman s Swim which took place on Saturday, August 15, when 115 swimmers took to the water. The event, with a one-and-a-hal
A SWIMMING event held in Topsham has raised more than �2000 for the Estuary League of Friends.
The money was raised thanks to the Ferryman's Swim which took place on Saturday, August 15, when 115 swimmers took to the water.
The event, with a one-and-a-half-mile course from the jetty to Turf Lock, was organised by Topsham ferryman, Mike Stevens.
He said: "I was really pleased with the success of the swim. Everybody in Topsham is fond of it and would like to see it continue every year."
Mike believed there was a possibility even more money could be raised once people collect all their sponsorship.
A member of staff at Topsham's Estuary League of Friends shop said it was anticipated around the �5000 mark could be achieved - a view echoed by Mike.
- 1 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 2 Care at home company named top 20 in the SW
- 3 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 4 Lively conditions set the scene for Exmouth Regatta
- 5 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 6 Local history: Lady Byron's links with Exmouth
- 7 Budleigh gears up for Gala Week
- 8 Co-op raises 7K for local community
- 9 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 10 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
He added: "Last year the money kept coming in for about two months after the swim. Hopefully that is going to be the same this year.
"We had �3000 last time around so I can't see why we can't get over that this year."
The Ferryman's Swim featured as part of a blockbuster weekend of activities in the town.
On Sunday, August 16, a tug-of-war contest was held between the Turf lock and the Passage House pub over the river, as well as an all-day hog roast and a performance by Exeter Morris Dancers.