Topsham swimming event success
A SWIMMING event held in Topsham has raised more than �2000 for the Estuary League of Friends. The money was raised thanks to the Ferryman s Swim which took place on Saturday, August 15, when 115 swimmers took to the water. The event, with a one-and-a-hal
A SWIMMING event held in Topsham has raised more than �2000 for the Estuary League of Friends.
The money was raised thanks to the Ferryman's Swim which took place on Saturday, August 15, when 115 swimmers took to the water.
The event, with a one-and-a-half-mile course from the jetty to Turf Lock, was organised by Topsham ferryman, Mike Stevens.
He said: "I was really pleased with the success of the swim. Everybody in Topsham is fond of it and would like to see it continue every year."
You may also want to watch:
Mike believed there was a possibility even more money could be raised once people collect all their sponsorship.
A member of staff at Topsham's Estuary League of Friends shop said it was anticipated around the �5000 mark could be achieved - a view echoed by Mike.
- 1 Bouncing back with our Library of Things
- 2 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 3 Exmouth Parkrun is back with a bang
- 4 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 5 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 6 Western League opener for Exmouth Town
- 7 TV presenter Josie makes a splash at holiday park
- 8 Stunning displays for this year's Britain in Bloom awards
- 9 Delay in Exmouth murder trial announced
- 10 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
He added: "Last year the money kept coming in for about two months after the swim. Hopefully that is going to be the same this year.
"We had �3000 last time around so I can't see why we can't get over that this year."
The Ferryman's Swim featured as part of a blockbuster weekend of activities in the town.
On Sunday, August 16, a tug-of-war contest was held between the Turf lock and the Passage House pub over the river, as well as an all-day hog roast and a performance by Exeter Morris Dancers.