Topsham Rock School members receive cash prize
MEMBERS of Topsham Rock School are in celebratory mood after receiving a �3000 prize for winning a competition run by Natwest bank.
The school, for youngsters aged between 10 and 16, landed first place in the Natwest Community Fund – an initiative, part of the bank’s customer charter, aimed at supporting local charities and projects.
Musicians and tutors from the group visited their local branch, in Fore Street, last week, to receive their winning cheque.
Natwest launched the fund last August, inviting customers and Topsham folk to decide who would benefit from the community scheme.
More than 300 individual funds of �5,000 were created nationwide with �3,000 awarded to those deemed to be the most popular good cause and �1,000 to the two runners-up.
You may also want to watch:
After weeks of voting, a panel, made up of local bank officials, customers and community figures carefully examined the nomination papers.
As well as Topsham Rock School, Devon Air Ambulance and TRIP Community Transport Association were chosen as the other organisations to benefit from East Devon’s fund.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 4 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 5 Early detection increases chances of successful treatment
- 6 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Friends remember Alison as cancer support fund grows to £40,000
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Who blinked first? A defining moment in humanity's existence
Jeff Wainwright, manager of Natwest’s Topsham branch, said: “The fund really captured the imagination of the local community.
“My colleagues and I would like to say a big thank you to all those that took the time to nominate and then vote. All three charities are winners but for the Topsham Rock School team it is obviously an extra special time.”
Topsham Rock School, founded by Michael Thomas, of Station Road, gives youngsters the chance to write, rehears and ultimately perform live music.
For more information on the musical group, visit the following website address at: www.topshamrockschool.org