Topsham residents' charity worker warning
PEOPLE are being warned not to be fooled by possible fake charity workers who are knocking on residents doors asking for donations. Percy Giles, police community support officer for Topsham, said a report was received last Monday, December 28, of a suspi
PEOPLE are being warned not to be fooled by possible fake charity workers who are knocking on residents' doors asking for donations.
Percy Giles, police community support officer for Topsham, said a report was received last Monday, December 28, of a suspicious incident where an individual called at a home in White Street and failed to produce legitimate identification.
Mr Giles said: "My concern is that there are individuals, or even groups of people, going around knocking on residents' doors asking for donations towards a charity.
"I would ask, if you do get people knocking on your door, ask for ID. If they cannot produce identification, please do not give any money and inform the police.
"If you still see them going up the road (knocking on doors), ring 999.
"Even if you don't think it is an emergency, we would like to go and speak to these people to check them out for your own safety.
- 1 Found: Wanted man from Exmouth
- 2 Exmouth to join national beacon lighting programme to mark Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Famous ladies of Exmouth: Viscountess Nelson of the Nile
- 4 East Devon beaches given prestigious blue flag award
- 5 'Unique opportunity' to lease one of Exmouth's toilet blocks
- 6 Witness appeal after Exmouth assault
- 7 Body found in search for missing man
- 8 County council approval for Levelling Up Dinan Way link funding bid
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Lifeline support service in Exmouth is ‘here to help’ those struggling with cost-of-living crisis
"It could be perfectly legit which is fine, but these people must have ID. Also, most charities will inform police that they are making collections in an area.
"It could well be distraction burglaries - we just don't know. You could answer the front door and then somebody has gone in via the back entrance. You have to be aware of these things.