Topsham residents' charity worker warning
PEOPLE are being warned not to be fooled by possible fake charity workers who are knocking on residents doors asking for donations. Percy Giles, police community support officer for Topsham, said a report was received last Monday, December 28, of a suspi
PEOPLE are being warned not to be fooled by possible fake charity workers who are knocking on residents' doors asking for donations.
Percy Giles, police community support officer for Topsham, said a report was received last Monday, December 28, of a suspicious incident where an individual called at a home in White Street and failed to produce legitimate identification.
Mr Giles said: "My concern is that there are individuals, or even groups of people, going around knocking on residents' doors asking for donations towards a charity.
"I would ask, if you do get people knocking on your door, ask for ID. If they cannot produce identification, please do not give any money and inform the police.
You may also want to watch:
"If you still see them going up the road (knocking on doors), ring 999.
"Even if you don't think it is an emergency, we would like to go and speak to these people to check them out for your own safety.
- 1 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 2 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 3 Property supply continues to be an issue as we approach the end of the year
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 John and Grace run for the heart
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Blooming marvellous for Madeira bowls
- 8 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 9 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
"It could be perfectly legit which is fine, but these people must have ID. Also, most charities will inform police that they are making collections in an area.
"It could well be distraction burglaries - we just don't know. You could answer the front door and then somebody has gone in via the back entrance. You have to be aware of these things.