Topsham pool ready to open for summer season
VOLUNTEERS have been busy preparing Topsham Outdoor Swimming Pool ahead of its grand opening for the summer season. People have been scrubbing, using pressure washers and painting, from early morning until late afternoon recently, to get it ready for the
VOLUNTEERS have been busy preparing Topsham Outdoor Swimming Pool ahead of its grand opening for the summer season.
People have been scrubbing, using pressure washers and painting, from early morning until late afternoon recently, to get it ready for the opening day on Saturday, May 15.
Committee member Andrea Veale said: "The pool is looking lovely and we're looking forward to a great summer whatever the weather.
"Takings were up last year, but with admission charges our only source of income, we need customers through the door right from the beginning of the season.
You may also want to watch:
"Our water is heated to around 28 degrees and the pool is sheltered, so even if the weather is cloudy the water is still lovely and warm".
As well as being heated, the water is chlorine-free. Topsham is the only outdoor swimming pool which is open to the general public in the Exeter area.
- 1 Are you ready to play hotel's Game of Stones?
- 2 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 3 Councillors call for a U-turn on universal credit £20 decision
- 4 Finest display of the season for Exmouth Town
- 5 Concept of 'live local' more important than ever in housing crisis
- 6 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 7 Exe Raid Regatta on Exmouth water
- 8 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 9 Exmouth Harriers pounding the roads of York and Portsmouth
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
It's more than 30 years since the pool first opened its doors after a decade of fundraising by locals.
It is still operated by a committee of local residents, volunteers who man the entrance desk and long-term lifeguard Guy and his team.