Topsham in food awards success
Topsham’s growing reputation as a foodie’s paradise has received another boost after its eateries recorded a hat trick of regional awards.
The Georgian Tea Room, the Galley Restaurant and Darts Farm have all been named as Gold award winners in the 2011 Taste of the West competition, in the caf�/tea room, restaurant and retail categories respectively.
Awards recognition is nothing new for the Georgian Tea Room, with owner Heather Knee struggling to count the number of wins she’s had over the years.
She said: “I think we’ve won nine golds and two silvers over the years. It’s just about keeping the standard up, and doing things good and proper.”
Heather sources most of her ingredients locally, and says that the high quality of the area’s produce is good news for her and her customers.
“I get my veg from Richard’s, which gets lots of produce for me, which is grown around the area, and I get my fish from Dart’s Fish Shed, which is often caught that day.
“I think people like to eat local food and know where it’s come from, and I always buy the best quality.”
- 1 Exeter man guilty of threatening police officer on Exmouth seafront
- 2 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 3 Brixington Blues weather the storm to blow away Broadclyst
- 4 Grants for energy efficiency improvements available for residents
- 5 Exmouth gears up for its Winter Festival
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Ex-tree-mely good response to Rotary saplings giveaway in Exmouth
- 8 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 9 Proposal for a permanent beach volleyball pitch on an East Devon beach
- 10 School appeals for funds to replace outdated sports equipment
While Heather has years of award winning experience to draw on, the exact opposite is true of the Galley Restaurant, whose award comes less than a year after it was taken over by new owners.
Joint owner Nigel Mitchell said: “We’re thrilled and quite humbled to be awarded gold in our first year, and it’s testament to our chef Ed’s wonderful cooking. It’s all about keeping it local and fresh – that’s our byword.”
The three businesses will now be competing for the overall titles in their categories, which will be announced at the Eden Project on November 1.