Topsham chef wins award
A TOPSHAM chef is celebrating after winning a prestigious award. Ed McLachlan, who works for the Galley Restaurant, has been named Master Chefs Apprentice of The Year. The annual award is made in recognition for outstanding achievement on the Master Chef
A TOPSHAM chef is celebrating after winning a prestigious award.
Ed McLachlan, who works for the Galley Restaurant, has been named Master Chefs' Apprentice of The Year.
The annual award is made in recognition for outstanding achievement on the Master Chefs' advanced training diploma course.
The prize for winning the title is two weeks at the Johnson and Wales University in North Carolina, which is recognised as one of the academic leaders of culinary excellence in the USA.
Mr McLachlan, who works as sous chef for The Galley, said: "I'm extremely pleased with my achievement and really looking forward to my trip to America.
"I've grown to be quite passionate about my cooking, certainly over the last two years.
- 1 Met Office weather warning for wind in East Devon
- 2 Dramatic rock fall at Budleigh beach prompts warnings of further collapses
- 3 Santa's sleigh and Family Fun Run: Exmouth Rotary announces Christmas events
- 4 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 5 Body of teenager found on beach in Exmouth
- 6 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas as lights are on in Exmouth
- 7 Awesome Aaron earns Exmouth win with a worldie
- 8 No choice but to charge entry for public toilets
- 9 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 10 Show of kindness helps keep people from going hungry this Christmas
"And now, having the opportunity to do something that other sous chefs will never do, has made me even more determined to make a successful career out of my passion."
The Master Chefs of Great Britain was formed in 1980 to provide a forum for the exchange of culinary ideas and to further the profession through training and guidance to young chefs.
Paul Da-Costa-Greaves, owner of The Galley, said: "The apprentice of the year award is a fantastic achievement for Ed. He is an excellent, dedicated young chef who has put the hours in and it's paid off'."
Mr Da-Costa-Greaves praised the standard of the American university where Ed will now go as a reward for scooping the title.
"It is recognised as one of the leaders of culinary excellence in the USA, and is a great networking tool for young and like minded chefs'
The Galley Restaurant is a multi award-winning fish and seafood restaurant located on the Quays in Topsham.