Topsham charity already planning for Christmas
THERE are still a mammoth 323 days to go until Christmas – but Topsham s Estuary League of Friends is already making preparations for the next festive season. The charity has started compiling a list of people who want to attend or help at its popular Chr
THERE are still a mammoth 323 days to go until Christmas - but Topsham's Estuary League of Friends is already making preparations for the next festive season.
The charity has started compiling a list of people who want to attend or help at its popular Christmas Day lunch.
The league of friends prepared lunch for 68 people last December at Topsham Rugby Club - a record number - with another four meals being delivered to peoples' homes.
Rachel Gilpin, chief executive of the charity, who organised the big day, said: "It was such a success, despite the cold and icy weather, that we're definitely doing it again in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
"The Estuary League of Friends Christmas lunch has become a tradition for older residents, and it's going from strength to strength.
"This was the largest turnout in our five years of holding the event. We're grateful for everyone who gave a donation, a gift or their time and we're already compiling names for the next one."
- 1 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 2 Appeal for Lifeboat volunteer guides for new station tours
- 3 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 4 Budleigh's community workshop is proud of its heritage
- 5 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 6 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 7 United front needed to ensure Devon does not remain the poor relation
- 8 Auctioneers are becoming more accessible by utilising new technology
- 9 A little respect goes a long way to reducing summer tensions
- 10 Former pupil returns with inspiration after success in Paralympic Games
A turkey lunch with all the trimmings was topped off by Christmas pudding.
Carols heralded the arrival of Father Christmas and everyone who attended received a festive goodie bag containing sweets, a satsuma and other small gifts donated by well-wishers.
About 30 people helped with donations of money and gifts while the charity's staff and volunteers drove the guests to and from the lunch.