Topsham businesses' awards success
A BUSINESSMAN from Topsham said he was delighted after hearing his restaurant – often visited by England goalkeeper David James – had been shortlisted for a prestigious award. Denly s Essence of India, in High Street, has been named in a shortlist for th
A BUSINESSMAN from Topsham said he was delighted after hearing his restaurant - often visited by England goalkeeper David James - had been shortlisted for a prestigious award.
Denly's Essence of India, in High Street, has been named in a shortlist for the British Curry Awards.
Jamil Imah, the proprietor, said: "I am really pleased with the news. Our customers always leave having had a good time.
"We offer a slightly different menu to other restaurants and there is an emphasis on the visual appearance of food."
Darts Farm and Olivia Restaurant are also celebrating after hearing they have scooped a gold and silver certificate respectively in the Taste of the West Awards 2009.
Established in 1991, Taste of the West is the regional food and drink trade organisation for the South West of England.
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 Bailiffs instructed to evict caravans from Exmouth site ‘as soon as possible’
- 3 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
- 4 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 5 Ladram Bay to feature in 'staycation' TV show
- 6 Exmouth launderette donating duvet charge to Save the Children
- 7 Aviation industry is key to realising dream of a highly-skilled South West
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Budleigh Lions support town's new community larder
- 10 Exmouth talking newspaper hold first meeting since pandemic
Judging of the classes was carried out by a panel of independent judges including food technologists and writers.
Darts Farm won gold in the retail outlet category and Oliva Restaurant, silver, in the restaurant section.
Michael Dart, director at Darts Farm, said: "We are thrilled to be recognised with a Gold award by Taste of the West for our efforts in local food retailing.
"We are so lucky to live in a region so rich in artisan produce and our food hall is a place where a lot of this produce comes together under one roof along with our fruit and vegetables we grow here.
"We would like to thank all of our local suppliers for creating such wonderful produce, our farm shop team for delivering the retail experience and of course our customers for supporting us and our region".