Topsham band take part in Haiti fundraiser
AN ACCLAIMED band from Topsham took part in a musical gig to help raise funds for those affected by the devastating Haiti earthquake. Show of Hands performed at the Exeter Phoenix last Thursday, January 21, in a special benefit concert with tickets sold o
AN ACCLAIMED band from Topsham took part in a musical gig to help raise funds for those affected by the devastating Haiti earthquake.
Show of Hands performed at the Exeter Phoenix last Thursday, January 21, in a special benefit concert with tickets sold out.
Band members Steve Knightley and Phil Beer were joined by a number of other musical guests.
The group has also been invited to perform their new single, Arrogance, Ignorance and Greed at next month's BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards.
You may also want to watch:
The song is the title for Show of Hands' latest studio album and is nominated for 'Best Original Song' at the awards which take place on February 1.
Knightley and multi instrumentalist Beer are nominated for 'Best Duo.'
- 1 Outpouring of support for Afghan refugees arriving in Exmouth
- 2 Local government working together to help Afghan refugees
- 3 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 4 Wider ramifications of this summer's traveller troubles
- 5 Jack does the trick in Budleigh victory
- 6 Round-robin barbecue event huge success
- 7 Exmouth Harrier Jenny Reay excels at Newton Abbot Ladies 10km
- 8 Huge lifestyle changes are needed to avert disaster
- 9 Festival is blessed with sunshine and celebrities
- 10 Difficult decisions needed to tackle big issues
It is the third time that a Show of Hands song has been named in the best original song category and the fourth time they have won a nomination for best duo.
The popular Devon duo won the Best Live Act title in 2004 - the only year it has been voted for by members of the public, and were also nominated for Knightley's Country Life.
A spokesperson for the group said: "The Steve Knightley-penned track takes an unflinching swipe at global bankers and bonuses, MPs and inventive expenses, perfectly capturing the current mood of the nation.