Tony’s company shortlisted after Seed Fund seaweeds out applicants.
- Credit: Archant
A seaweed harvester from Sidmouth is feeling ‘quietly confident’ after being shortlisted to receive £100,000 worth of support from an organisation set up to help new food and drink businesses.
Tony Coulson, 59, of Woolbrook Road, started Ebb Tides, a business which turns seaweed into a cooking ingredient, to help people eat healthily.
He is now waiting to face The Seed Fund’s panel of judges to book himself a place at its academy, where, if he were to win, Tony would be given advice on how to grow his company.
Tony, who has a background in agriculture and the environment, said: “I am quietly confident.
“I have eaten seaweed most of my life, so I know the health benefits.
You may also want to watch:
“I figured it was the right time to go into business and prepare seaweed because people are now making a large jump into eating healthy.”
“About two months ago, The Seed Fund was asking people to apply to get on the programme and I simply filled in an application form and a couple of weeks ago I was told I was down to the last 24.”
- 1 Andy and Rachel help High Street adjust to life after lockdown
- 2 Marine’s own trauma inspires community mental health initiative
- 3 International Women’s Day – celebrating Exmouth’s business women
- 4 Exmouth Festival cancelled but'fun and entertainment' planned
- 5 Exmouth author’s book to ‘declutter your mind’
- 6 Exmouth boss turns to a new season
- 7 Residents between 65 and 69 now being invited for Covid-19 vaccine
- 8 Lympstone man writes his memoirs to share life with his grandchildren
- 9 New ideas to add value to East Devon's car parks
- 10 Whether you're a hunter or a gatherer, we all end up not taking our possessions with us
Ebbs Tide will go up against 24 companies, seven of them from the South West, to complete for 12 places at the academy, where they will be able to attend a series of seminars, workshops, one-on-one sessions with mentors, industry visits and meet the buyer events. One eventual winner will be announced at the Great Taste Golden Fork Awards Dinner in September, receiving a further year of support worth more than £100,000.