Taxi spaces to be moved
TAXI bays are being moved ahead of The Strand s �3 million makeover, which starts in February.
TAXI bays are being moved ahead of The Strand's �3 million makeover, which starts in February.
The work, expected to be completed by this time next year, includes an enhanced space suitable for outdoor markets, remembrance services and performances.
Other improvements include better lighting and street furniture and a new bus shelter.
Temporary parking spaces for the public will be permanently transferred to use by taxis.
You may also want to watch:
The moves are designed to replace spaces lost when The Strand is redesigned and to avoid disruption to the service offered by taxis in the town centre for the duration of the works.
Letters have been sent to traders warning them of the changes and asking for their views, which will be taken into account when the final moves are made.
- 1 New attractions and vendors as Queen’s Drive Space gets ready for summer
- 2 Exmouth folk and visitors love their coffee!
- 3 Clyst Valley park is part of Exmouth to Exmoor national trail vision
- 4 Christine Channon retains Devon County Council seat
- 5 Exmouth Harriers take to the roads again
- 6 Former Exmouth and Budleigh officer nominated for lifetime achievement award
- 7 Plea for help to outfit Budleigh’s new community workshop
- 8 ‘Pay what you can’ at Open Door Community Café
- 9 Tribute paid to former town manager Suzy
- 10 WBW Solicitors sponsoring best start up business award
The area currently occupied by taxis on the northern side of The Strand will be absorbed into improved public space.
Three new taxi ranks will be created, two of which will remain in place after the work is complete and one of which will be replaced with new spaces elsewhere in the town centre at a later date.
A spokesman for East Devon District Council said: "Eight new temporary taxi spaces will be provided in Rolle Street, close to the point where it meets The Strand.
"These eight spaces will replace eight limited parking spaces for the public. The public parking will be reinstated when the enhancement scheme is complete, with eight new spaces to be created nearby at a location to be decided after consultation. One possible location is the road between The Strand and Chapel Hill."
In addition three new permanent taxi spaces will be created in The Parade, a short distance from Albion Street, while three more permanent spaces will be created in Imperial Road, near the junction with Rolle Street.
These spaces will replace six limited parking spaces for the public and will continue in action after works are complete.
Two more taxi spaces already exist in Victoria Road and these will be maintained throughout the works and once the scheme has been completed.