Tar barrel explosion: Don’t let idiot threaten great tradition’
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary s flaming tradition. Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an idiotic moron should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary's flaming tradition.
Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an "idiotic moron" should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition.
She was speaking just minutes before driving her 23-year-old son, Jon, to hospital.
Watching the event for the first time, Jon suffered bad burns to his left hand as he moved to protect his face and was knocked to the ground by the blast.
He said his "mashed up" hand was so bad he needed hospital treatment.
His friend is already hospitalised with bad burns to his face. Two others behind Jon were knocked from their feet and their hair was singed.
- 1 Angry passenger keyed a car in disabled parking dispute
- 2 Lympstone Marine trainer halfway through THREE ultra marathon challenge
- 3 Exmouth business create leggings to raise funds for Hospiscare
- 4 Art exhibition celebrates Jurassic coastline
- 5 Budleigh vineyard wins gold at inaugural wine competition
- 6 Season-ticket purchase period extended at Exmouth Town
- 7 Monty creates Jubilee figure for his last East Budleigh Scarecrow Festival
- 8 Floral boat dedicated to Budleigh fisherman Digger Rogers
- 9 Budleigh joins scheme to put East Devon on green tourism map
- 10 Budleigh Music Fest line-up announced
"I got up to see everyone on fire, my coat was covered in burning tar," he said.