Tar barrel explosion: Don’t let idiot threaten great tradition’
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary s flaming tradition. Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an idiotic moron should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary's flaming tradition.
Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an "idiotic moron" should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition.
She was speaking just minutes before driving her 23-year-old son, Jon, to hospital.
Watching the event for the first time, Jon suffered bad burns to his left hand as he moved to protect his face and was knocked to the ground by the blast.
You may also want to watch:
He said his "mashed up" hand was so bad he needed hospital treatment.
His friend is already hospitalised with bad burns to his face. Two others behind Jon were knocked from their feet and their hair was singed.
- 1 Mayor breaks ground at new Topsham retirement development
- 2 Exmouth road extension backed in parliament
- 3 New recruits to help keep a safe watch over Exmouth coast
- 4 Budleigh's community workshop is proud of its heritage
- 5 Appeal for Lifeboat volunteer guides for new station tours
- 6 Black belt grading success for Lympstone and Exmouth Karate students
- 7 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War
- 8 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 9 Exmouth local set to brave the shave for friend Simon
- 10 Repair café returns to town to lend a helping hand
"I got up to see everyone on fire, my coat was covered in burning tar," he said.