Tar barrel explosion: Don’t let idiot threaten great tradition’
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary s flaming tradition. Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an idiotic moron should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition
The mother of a victim of the tar barrel explosion today defended Ottery St Mary's flaming tradition.
Despite her son suffering burns when someone threw an aerosol can at a flaming barrel, Mrs Pauline Watling said an "idiotic moron" should not be allowed to threaten a fantastic tradition.
She was speaking just minutes before driving her 23-year-old son, Jon, to hospital.
Watching the event for the first time, Jon suffered bad burns to his left hand as he moved to protect his face and was knocked to the ground by the blast.
You may also want to watch:
He said his "mashed up" hand was so bad he needed hospital treatment.
His friend is already hospitalised with bad burns to his face. Two others behind Jon were knocked from their feet and their hair was singed.
- 1 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
- 2 Tributes to man who saw town's marina through transition
- 3 Wins for East Budleigh and the Robinettes
- 4 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 5 Covid support team thanks community for generous help
- 6 Shortage of applicants lifts starting salaries
- 7 East Devon Ladies win County Pairs comp
- 8 Champions of art and culture help connect communities
- 9 Lifeboat crew plan bumper fireworks display fundraiser
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
"I got up to see everyone on fire, my coat was covered in burning tar," he said.