It was with despair and frustration that I read last week’s letter page regarding The Strand, particularly India Haywood’s comments.
I have a personal axe to grind, in that East Devon District Council have just allowed neighbours to build an enormous house in their back garden which, I believe, will put my garden into perpetual shadow and tower over my humbler property.
All this in the conservation area of Woodbury.
The local press is screaming with issues, such as The Strand and a new building on the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Sidmouth.
We have a planning department which is running amok and, as council tax paying citizens, we seem powerless to check their behaviour.
Perhaps we should rewrite Marcellus’ speech in Hamlet - something is rotten in the state of East Devon.
- 1 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 2 Homes and shops plan approved for site behind Exmouth's Tower Street Church
- 3 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 4 Free water dispensers set up in Exmouth to cut plastic waste
- 5 'Residents will be unimpressed with MPs over Boris'
- 6 Budleigh prevail in terrific advert for Devon Football League
- 7 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 8 Lions president marks 100th volunteer shift as Covid jab centre steward
- 9 'Mud: Mucky, marvellous - but misunderstood'
- 10 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
1 Globe Hill Cottages,