Sophie’s tribute to her Nan
A schoolgirl from Budleigh Saltetrton has organised a charity performance in memory of her nan, Ann Meadows. The cash raised from the event will be given to Hospiscare.
A 14-year-old schoolgirl from Budleigh Salterton is the driving force behind a charity variety show in memory of her much-loved nan.
Sophie Knowles,of Brook Road, has organised the event as a tribute to Ann Meadows, of Hooker Close, who died last October, aged 59.
Exmouth Community College pupil Sophie is holding the show in aid of Hospiscare, who cared for her young-at-heart nan as she battled lung cancer, writes Becca Gliddon.
Sophie said: “I think she would be proud and definitely want to help in some way.
“My nan has always been looked after by Hospiscare. I think they are brilliant.”
Sophie’s mum, Debbie Knowles, 38, said “It was a bit more than I thought she could take on, but she’s done it proud.
- 1 Fears over future of Methodist church
- 2 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 3 More than 600 jobs up for grabs at Travelodge - including in South West
- 4 Lympstone man takes on 3,000-mile rowing challenge
- 5 Live grenade training to resume on Woodbury Common from next month
- 6 New assistant chief constables at Devon and Cornwall Police
- 7 Win keeps Exmouth Town second with games in hand
- 8 Exmouth history: Roman Devon and the arrival of Saxons
- 9 Strong demand for properties continues into the new year
- 10 Exmouth care home launches new grant to tackle loneliness
“It’s a lovely thing for her to do this in memory of her nan. They were really close.”
The charity variety show is being held at 7.30pm at Budleigh’s Public Hall on Saturday March 5. Tickets are �5, family tickets �15, and available from the Budleigh Salterton Hospiscare Shop or The Card Shop Too.
Two professional magicians will perform throughout the night.
There will also be performances from the recent Budleigh’s Got Talent show, organised by Kim Holmes, from East Budleigh.
The winner of the 2010 talent show, Katherine Costigan, is booked to perform on the night.
There will also be a raffle, refreshments and a bar.
Kim Holmes, who is helping Sophie and her family with the show’s organisation, said: “We had amazing comments about the talent show and we aim to be at least as good for the variety show.
“We are warning people to get their tickets as soon as possible. With Budleigh’s Got Talent, the tickets sold out and people had to be turned away on the night.”
Tickets can also be bought by telephoning (01395) 444170