Slimmers tug at heart string for our heroes
When the Slimming World group at Brixington Church decided to raise funds for Help for Heroes, the aim was to raise at least �1000. After a swimathon, a sponsored slim and a charity auction, the actual amount achieved ran to a staggering �3,300!
David Gammell, the coordinator for Help for Heroes South West, was visibly stunned at the news.
The auction exceeded all our expectations with 76 lots in total and even items being donated on the evening itself.
Opened by former mayor Darryl Nicholas and with Piers Motley, from Bicton Auction Rooms at the helm, the evening got off to a flying start, eventually raising �1,875.
One bidder who spent more than �200, told us: “Well, it’s for our blokes, isn’t it…you just have to help.”
Whilst approaching businesses and individuals for donations, we found this was a recurring theme. “Help for Heroes has pulled the heart-strings of a nation,” one of our members remarked, “and even with the economy as it is, particularly in the South West, both donators and bidders were generous beyond belief.”
The members of Slimming World, Brixington, would like to give a huge thank you to all the businesses and individuals in Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton and Topsham, who helped make this a resounding success.
- 1 Exmouth RNLI save speedboat sinking on the River Exe
- 2 Multi agency rescue on Exmouth seafront
- 3 Exmouth singer Ruby 'has world class talent'
- 4 Wing walking Exmouth nurse has fundraiser postponed
- 5 Exmouth firefighters save cow from ditch
- 6 Littleham group's success after £5k council grant
- 7 Review: 'Time of my life' at Blackmore Theatre
- 8 Exmouth Town enjoy winning start to life in Southern League
- 9 Four live music acts to perform at garden party
- 10 German twinners have 'sehr gut' trip to Exmouth
Everyone is absolutely stunned at the amount raised.
It really is an amazing example of what can happen when everyone works together.