Selfless couple forfeit wedding anniversary gifts in aid of Budleigh Salterton Cricket Club
A SELFLESS act of forfeiting ruby wedding anniversary presents was just one of the many ways Budleigh Salterton has over the last few months pulled together to ensure the town s cricket club survived two severe floods.
A SELFLESS act of forfeiting ruby wedding anniversary presents was just one of the many ways Budleigh Salterton has over the last few months pulled together to ensure the town's cricket club survived two severe floods.
Last weekend Budleigh Salterton cricket club showed Mother Nature it meant business and was a force in itself to be reckoned with when scores of members turned out to celebrate the start of the new season.
Since October 2008 the cricket club has twice been the victim of serious flooding when the River Otter burst its banks, sending filthy water pouring into the club - on one occasion up to its roof.
Since the floods more than �20,000 has been spent refurbishing the club and replacing equipment damaged by floodwater.
Hundreds of hours of manpower from dedicated club members meant the club was up and running again in time for the start of the new season.
During the launch of the new season, the club revealed it had a new three-year sponsorship deal with South West Communications.
- 1 Property above landmark former shop to be turned into five bed house
- 2 Outdoor seating on the strand approved
- 3 Morning dip at Budleigh gets ‘seal’ of approval
- 4 Dynamic dino fans give town's models a facelift
- 5 Budleigh gift shop named among region's best
- 6 Champions Brixington Blues finish season in style
- 7 Put the bunting out - East Devon gets ready for Jubilee revelry
- 8 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 9 New Devon County Council chair sworn in as Annual Meeting returns
- 10 Full line-up announced for Exmouth Festival
Budleigh resident and district councillor Christine Channon was personally thanked for her support after donating �4,000 from her budget for the installation of a new electronic scoreboard which will be installed above the flood line.
Also thanked by the club were Mr and Mrs Gerry Williams, who presented the club with a donation of �500 after asking guests attending the couple's ruby wedding anniversary to make a donation to the colts instead of gifts.