Number of applicants for secondary school places in Devon up
PUBLISHED: 17:00 10 March 2018
Devon County Council has announced an increase in the number of children applying for places at the area's secondary schools.
Parents found out on March 1 which school their child will be attending in September.
A DCC spokesman said the council received 7,004 applicants to attend a secondary school in Devon compared to 6,949 last year and 6,706 in 2016.
Of those applying for places, 98.2 per cent of applicants were offered one of their three preferences.
James McInnes, the county council’s cabinet member for schools, said: “It is very gratifying that we have been able to accommodate nearly every child in one of their three preferred schools.
“These are obviously early statistics and are quite likely to improve even more before September as appeals are heard and other factors are taken into account, such as parents not taking up places they have been offered,” he added.