Saturday, July 19 - Open Space event to discuss sustainable future for Exmouth
THE biggest move yet in an Exmouth group s bid to encourage sustainable ecological living will gather residents to plot a future less dependant on oil.
THE biggest move yet in an Exmouth group's bid to encourage sustainable ecological living will gather residents to plot a future less dependant on oil.
As the world comes to terms with the issue of 'peak oil', as oil production inexorably begin to decrease, the Transition Town Exmouth (TTE) group seeks to foster plans for an oil-free Exmouth.
The Main Hall at Exmouth Community College's Green Close site will come alive with debate at TTE's 'Exmouth without Oil' day on Saturday July 26.
The group will run the debate as an 'open space event', gathering the public for free discussion on topics set by participants.
You may also want to watch:
TTE founding member Chris White said: "Oil prices are breaking record highs on a daily basis. The time is rife for Exmouth to debate these questions as world leaders make much criticised plans.
"How can Exmouth live up to its moral obligation to stop global warming in its tracks, and what role does the community play in this?"
- 1 Exmouth’s Imperial Hotel set to reopen
- 2 Accountancy firm and comedy workshop company sponsoring business awards
- 3 Covid-19 vaccination programme in Devon enters next phase
- 4 Recommendation for consultation on extending public space order for Exmouth to its beach
- 5 Exmouth and Budleigh councillor retain county seats in 2021 elections
- 6 Turf cutting marks start of work on college’s new £13.5m building
- 7 Looking forward to rediscovering the magic of the theatre
- 8 Premises licence for Mikey’s Berach Bar granted – but opening hours cut
- 9 A busy start to May for Exmouth Harriers
- 10 Recruitment evening for Exmouth’s Air Cadets squadron
Global leaders faced criticism after this month's G8 summit for a failure to strongly commit to cutting carbon emissions - a 'vision' for a 50 per cent cut the extent of promises made.
The TTE movement has garnered strong early support after setting out to follow pioneering schemes to boost self-sufficiency adopted in Totnes and now spreading across the planet.
The 'Exmouth without Oil' event takes place 11am to 3pm at the Main Hall of the College, in Green Close, Saturday July 26 - donations welcome.
The event has been supported by Exmouth Citizens Association, Exmouth Residents Association, and Exmouth Citizens Forum.
For more information visit the website www.transitiontownexmouth.co.uk, or phone Chris White on 07878642169.