Rock School suffers funding setback
Plans to open a new music group for Exmouth youngsters have suffered a setback after a funding application was rejected.
The group of music tutors behind Topsham Rock School applied for a grant from Youth Music to establish an Exmouth Rock School at Littleham Leisure Centre.
The proposed school would hold sessions once a week for youngsters aged between 10 and 16, who would be invited to form their own bands.
The youngsters would then write, rehearse and perform their own songs under the supervision of tutors, and with instruments and amplifiers provided.
The proposed school would follow the successful model established by Topsham Rock School, a community organisation which was established in 2008 with Lottery funding, and currently has 25 members playing in six bands.
You may also want to watch:
However, the rejection of the Youth Music funding application means the plans have stalled while alternative funding is sought.
Topsham Rock School’s Michael Thomas said: “It’s a massive disappointment- a blow for the organisation and for the young people of Exmouth. It would give them the opportunity to play music and also to meet socially with other kids.
- 1 Pop band McFly set to perform at Imperial Recreation Ground
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 4 A plan for grassroots sport that must not be allowed to falter
- 5 Tax changes to attract shipping companies to UK
- 6 Sound move to join singing group
- 7 Lifeboat crew rescue kitesurfing girl
- 8 Horror shows and light entertainment for Halloween viewing
- 9 Judges and lawyers pay tribute to 'simply the best' Anna
- 10 Man left with serious injures after crash on Woodbury Common
“We’re now looking at different sorts of funding options, including the Community Fund.”
Although plans for a full Exmouth Rock School programme have been put on hold, there are still plans to hold two introductory one-day workshops in Littleham over the summer, the details of which will be announced shortly on www.topshamrockschool.org.