Ride for Mark
TWENTY two years after making a charity cycle ride to Exmouth s twin town, a team of much older cyclists will be making a return trip in memory of one of their friends.
TWENTY two years after making a charity cycle ride to Exmouth's twin town, a team of much older cyclists will be making a return trip in memory of one of their friends.
Exmouth dentist Mark Gerry was one of the team of 20 Exmouth Round Tablers who rode the 200 miles from Exmouth to Dinan, via Plymouth in 1987.
In March this year, Mark died of cancer after a brief illness and his friends decided to re-stage the cycle ride in his memory and in aid of his favourite charity - Operation Smile. The charity funds operations for children suffering from cleft lips and cleft palates and other disfiguring conditions.
Seven of the original team of 20 will be heading for Dinan in North East Brittany, next month. However, because of the passing years, the team do not plan to make the trip too gruelling. They will be taking a minibus to Portsmouth and crossing to St Malo which is a short ride to Dinan.
You may also want to watch:
They plan to spend a few days in Dinan fundraising before the return journey.
Steve Green, the team's driver who was in the original team of riders, said their appeals and publicity had already raised more than �1,000, which was their original target figure and will pay for more than 13 operations.
- 1 Afghan refugees to be found temporary accommodation in Exmouth
- 2 Darcey makes ballerina's day
- 3 Tough day at the office for the Withies
- 4 Wider ramifications of this summer's traveller troubles
- 5 Lions' golf day puts thousands into vital diabetes research
- 6 Budleigh Salterton Parkinson's Disease T-shirt fundraiser
- 7 Exmouth Harriers running all over the UK
- 8 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 9 Exmouth driver claimed he was spooked by unmarked police car
- 10 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
The original ride raised more than �2,000 for table charities.
Steve said: "Anyone who knew Mark would know that he was a great bloke and a skilled, kind and thoughtful dentist.
"We can't think of a more fitting tribute to Mark than for a little child to smile in his name."
Donations can be left at the following collection points: Victoria Road Dental Surgery; Bicton Street Dental Surgery; Salterton Road Dental Surgery; Claremont Medical Practice Health Centre; Rolle Medical Practice Health Centre; Exeter Orthodontic Practice, Richmond Road, Exeter; Smile Centre, Exeter Business Park.
Anyone who wishes to contribute to the fund can also call Steve at (01395) 268338 or email email@example.com