Restoration work back on track for Topsham’s old Vigilant
- Credit: Archant
Work has resumed to restore a Thames barge to its former glory after a lack of funding saw the project grind to a halt.
Owner Benjamin Squirrell is funding the project himself and his friend, Dave McCabe, a Topsham boat builder, has been undertaking the work in Topsham Quay.
Benjamin hopes the Vigilant will remain in the quay as a reminder of the role the barges played.
He said: “We are committed to saving this historic craft and getting her to a state where she will sail again.
“We want to keep her in Topsham and sail her from this historic port so that she serves as a living reminder of the vital role these sea lorries played in this country’s past.”
You may also want to watch:
The project received a setback when an application for lottery funding was turned down last year, despite backing from MP Hugo Swire.
Additional plans to turn the boat into a sailing school to teach people to sail the vessels have been scrapped because of a lack of funding.
- 1 Gala Week cancelled but summer events planned
- 2 Freemasons step up to help with vaccination roll out
- 3 Third time unlucky as Exmouth man caught with abuse images jailed
- 4 Environmental issues a hot topic in Local Plan consultation
- 5 Shoppers to boost life-changing charities impacted by Covid-19
- 6 Exmouth pharmacy offering Covid-19 vaccine appointments to those in priority groups
- 7 Redwood trees are 'fantastic news for Torbay's Naturally Inspiring environment'
- 8 'We've been overwhelmed by your support'
- 9 Banned customer jailed for 'sucker punch' attack on innocent pub diner
- 10 Speed limit trial will pave the way for safer Devon roads
Benjamin said: “It is very sad because we had support from the London Guild of Shipwrights, South Devon College and The Retreat boatyard to run an apprenticeship scheme.
“So an opportunity to give a youngster a unique learning experience and a future trade is lost.”
Ben purchased the barge from an Essex boatyard and returned it to Topsham in late 2012.
When Topsham was a working port, barges like the Vigilant would have been frequent visitors to the quay on their way to Teignmouth.
Built in 1928, Vigilant was a class race winner because the vessels were built to race.
The Vigilant, built in Ipswich, continued to be sailed until the early ’90s when she was converted into a houseboat.
Anyone who would like get involved with the project can email email@example.com